- Alzheimer’s disease is a neurological disorder in which atrophy of brain takes place and brain cells started dying. Due to this, there occurs loss of memory and decline in thinking, social and behavioral skills. This affects a person’s daily chores.
- The early signs of alzheimer’s are forgetting recent events and conversations. It is the most common cause of dementia in adults.
- With increasing time, memory loss gets severe and a person cannot perform his daliy tasks independently.
- The disease is named after Dr. Alois Alzheimer. Alzheimer’s disease constitutes about 60-80% of dementia cases.
- There is no cure of Alzheimer’s disease but medications can reduce symptoms temporarily. The medicines can help the patient’s with alzheimer’s maximise their cognitive functions and do their day to day independently.
CAUSES OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
- The exact reason of occurrence of Alzheimer’s disease is unknown. But after studying brain anatomy of such patients, some brain specific protiens do not function properly and this disrupts the working of brain cells.
- This produces toxins and brain cells start getting damaged. The nerve cells get entangled and form neurofibrillary tangles.
- Beta-amyloid plaques are the protein deposits which build up in the brain.
- Researchers don’t know why the above changes takes place. It is believed to be occurred due to a combination of various environmental, genetic and other factors.
RISK FACTORS OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
Following are the factors which make a person more vulnerable to alzheimer’s disease:
- Age – With increasing age, the chances of getting alzheimer’s disease increases
- Genetic history – Person having a parent or sibling suffering from the disease are at more risk
- Person having Down’s syndrome
- Women are seen to be more affected than men
- Person having had a head injury
- Polluted air causes rapid damage of nerve cells
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Poor sleeping patterns
SYMPTOMS OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
Dementia or memory loss is the main symptom of alzheimer’s disease. Here are the other symptoms which are associated with it:
- Patient forgets events, conversations
- He/she misplaces possessions
- He sometimes get lost in familiar places
- There is difficulty in concentration and thinking
- Patient has difficulty in managing finances
- Decline in ability to make judgements
- Social withdrawal
- Mood swings
COMPLICATIONS OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
There are the following complications of Alzheimer’s disease:
- Ingestion of food or liquid
- Fractures due to fall
- Constipation or diarrohea
- Tooth decay
PREVENTION OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
Alzheimer’s disease is not a preventable disease but some of the dietary and lifestyle changes can help in reducing the risk of the disease:
- Doing regular exercise
- Maintaining proper weight
- Maintaning proper blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Quit smoking and drinking
DIAGNOSIS OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
- The doctor will ask the patient or his close friend or family member about the symptoms of the disease.
- He will do a psychiatric evaluation of patient.
- He may order some of the blood tests, urine tests.
- There may be need to do CT scan or MRI or PET scan.
AYURVEDIC TREATMEN T OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
- According to ayurveda, Alzheimer’s disease is managed by Medhyarasayana and panchkarma therapy. It helps in improving patient’s quality of life.
- Some of the herbs which are used for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease are:
- Gotu kola
CHANDIGARH AYURVEDA CENTER’S MEDICATIONS FOR ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
Here are some of the medications of Chandigarh Ayurveda Center which are used for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease:
- Nerve Plus tablet
- These tablets shows Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, and immune- modulator properties.
- It contains herbal ingredients Ghritkumari (Aloe barbadensis), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum), Giloy satav (Tinospora crdifolia), shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, shudha vatsnabh, shudh singraf.
- It is beneficial for erectile dysfunction, diseases of stomach, stimulating nerves and appetite, promotes the level of testosterone naturally.
- Recommended Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily
- Brodley Syrup
- This herbal syrup consist of ingredients like Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Yashti madhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc that improves memory.
- Brodley syrup deal with the signs and symptoms related to Alzheimer patients.
- Recommended Dosage: 2 teaspoonful twice daily
- Rasayan Vati
- Rasayan vati is herbo-mineral Ayurvdic formulation which contains various herbs such as Aswagandha, Shilajeet, Amla, Kesar, Musali, Shatavar, Brahmi Abhrak Bhasam, Swarn Makshik Bhasam, Yashad Bhasam, Mukta pisti, Praval pisti, Jaiphal, Vang Bhasam, Aswagandha, Dalchini, Javitri, Gokhru, Kaunch Beej, Shilajeet, Saunth, Mirch, Pipli, Amla, Kesar, Manjith, Anant Mool, Brahmi, Musali, Shatavar, Swarn Vang, etc.
- These ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immune-modulator properties.
- These tablets provides good results in General debility, Psychological disorders,
and improves immunity.
Recommended Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily
- Stress Care Tablet
- Stress care tablet is an amazing combination of natural herbs like Sarpgandha, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi.
- It helps to relieve stress conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also helps to increase the mental and physical performance.
- Recommended Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily
- Brain Relaxant Churna
- This herbal churna is prepared from herb Atmagupta (Mucuna pruriens). The herb normalizes the nerve cell functions and supports brain function.
- It provides effective results in Alzheimer disease as it maintains the overall performance of the nervous system.
- Recommended Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice daily
- Immuno Up Powder
- This powder is made up of the composition of bhasmas and pure herbs that is very beneficial in controlling the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- The powder includes Giloy satav, Sutshekhar rasa, Sudhyog tablet, Shwet parpati, Shankh bhasma, Parwal pishti, etc.
- It is a very useful remedy to cure the voice change, uncontrollable movements during sleep, improve the rigid facial expression, etc.
- Recommended Dosage: 1 sachet twice daily with normal water