- Atopic dermatitis is achronic inflammatory condition of the skin. It’s the most common variety of
- The area affected has red blotches and there is intense itching. Face, neck, arms and legs are most commonly affected.
- It usually starts in childhood but also affects a number of adults.
- There are elevated levels of immunoglobulin E( IgE) in blood. It is a sign of allergic response of body. Food allergy, allergic rhinitis and asthma are often associated with it.
- The rashes of atopic dermatitis tend to flare up periodically.
- There has been found no permanent cure of atopic dermatitis. But with self-care measures and treatment, its symptoms can be relieved and prevented.
TYPES OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
Atopic dermatitis is a type of eczema. Other types related to atopic dermatitis are:
- Contact dermatitis
- Hand eczema
- Dyshidrotic eczema
- Nummular eczema
- Stasis dermatitis
CAUSES OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
- The reason of occurrence of atopic dermatitis is unknown. It is believed to be body’s reaction towards any of the foreign agent.
- Normally, the skin has hydrating properties. But somehow the skin loses the proteins that retain water. Due to this, skin gets dry.
- The immune system of body shows over-reaction to the allergen. It causes excessive inflammation causing redness and itching.
- Atopic dermatitis runs in families. If one of the close relatives has atopic dermatitis, chances of contracting it get increased.
TRIGGERS OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
Following are the triggers which make atopic dermatitis worse are:
- Strong soaps
- Scratchy fabric
- Skin care products
- Make up
- Animal dander
- Hot showers
- Skin infections
- Dust or sand
- Certain foods like eggs, dairy products, nuts, etc.
SYMPTOMS OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
The signs and symptoms of atopic dermatitis vary in different individuals. Following are the symptoms of the disease:
- Intense itching, especially at night
- Dry and scaly skin
- Small, red, raised bumps on skin, from which liquid may ooze out
- Cracked and thickened skin
- Brownish-grey patches are present on hands, feet, ankles, wrist, neck, face, etc.
- Skin darkening around eyes
COMPLICATIONS OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
The complications associated with atopic dermatitis are:
- Hay fever
- Chronic itchiness
- Bacterial and viral infections
- Irritant hand dermatitis
- Lack of sleep
PREVENTION OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
The following steps can help in preventing the bouts of atopic dermatitis:
- Moisturizing skin twice a day
- Take shorter baths
- Identify the triggers and avoid them
- Use soaps that are gentle on skin
- Dry the body properly after having bath
DIAGNOSIS OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
- The doctor will take the complete medical history of the patient.
- He will do the thorough physical examination of the patient. He will ask about signs and symptoms of the disease.
- He will take his family history.
- He can make the patient do the skin biopsy for confirmation of dermatitis.
TREATMETNT OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
The treatment of atopic dermatitis involves the following:
- Corticosteroid creams
- Antifungal drugs
- Wet dressings
- Light therapy
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
- In Ayurveda, atopic dermatitis is called Vicharchika. Vicharchika is a type of kushtha roga. It is caused due to aggravation of kapha and pitta dosha.
- Panchkarma treatment is recommended in atopic dermatitis. Panchkarma procedures are:
- Medicated paste application
- Herbal bathing
CHANDIGARH AYURVEDA CENTER’S MEDICATIONS FOR ATOPIC DERMATITIS
Some of the medications of Chandigarh Ayurveda Center which are used for the treatment of Atopic dermatitis are:
- BLOOD PURIFIER SYRUP
- It is ayurvedic syrup that consists of various natural ingredients such as Khadir Chall (Acacia catechu), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Harad (Terminalia bellirica), Baheda (Terminalia chebula), Amla (Emblica officinalis), etc.
- As the syrup purifies the blood by removing excess toxins it is very beneficial in maintaining proper circulation and improves the skin naturally.
- Recommended Dosage– 2 teaspoonful twice daily
- PANCHATIKTA GHRITA GUGGULU
- The tablets are very beneficial in curing skin diseases as it contains the Pitta pacifying ingredients such as Shuddh guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Amrita (Tinospora cordifolia), Gajapippali (Piper chaba), Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis), etc.
- The tablet is Tridoshahara, thus is very effective in maintaining the hormonal level in the body.
- Recommended Dosage –2 tablets twice daily with normal water
- DETOX PREMIUM POWDER
- This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like Parwal Pishti, Giloy satv, Shukta Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Gandhak Rasayan, etc.
- Parwal Pishti: This Pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The Pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
- Shukta Pishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
- Giloy Satv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
- Kamdudha Ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
- Gandhak Rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
- Tal Sindoor: It contains ingredients like Shuddh parad, Aloe vera, Gandhak, etc that relieve redness in psoriasis patients.
- Akik Pishti: This Pishti reduces all types of Pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
- Recommended Dosage: 1 sachet twice daily with plain water
- SKIN CARE TABLET
- Skin care tablet is herbo mineral and purely ayurvedic formulation. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimba churna, Panchatikta guggulu, Patol patra, Ajmoda, Khadir chhal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Manjistha, Chopchini, Gandhak, etc
- Skin care tablet is a blood purifying. It cools and detoxifies the blood, dissolves obstructions in the blood flow that further increase blood circulation of the skin.
- It minimises the blemishes, lighten sun tan, delay ageing of skin and heal skin problems.
- These tablet also act as a skin moistuirizer, Improves blood circulation, Remove blemishes, Reduce itching and burning sensation of skin, Prevent acne and pimples, Relieves leucoderma.
- Recommended Dosage –2 tablets twice daily with normal water
- TWAK CHURNA
- Twak churna is a composition of two main ingredients – Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) and Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) that are considered as the best herbs for skin.
- The churna has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiandrogenic abilities that treat acne and also prevent it from re-occurrence.
- The herb Manjistha acts against bacteria such as Propionibacterium acne and Staphylococcus epidermidis which play a role in the development of pimples.
- Recommended Dosage– 1 teaspoonful twice daily with normal water