Spinal diseases are a set of conditions that involve a loss of normal structure and function of spine. In view of the fact that the spine is so centrally connected to all other parts of the body, a problem with the spine can produce different type of symptoms and affect a patient’s ability to function on a variety of levels.
Issues To The Spine May Occur In Any Of The Following Ways:
- Irritation of the large nerve roots that go to the legs and arms
- Pinching of the smaller nerves that extend out from the vertebrae
- Straining of the large back muscles
- Injury to the actual bones or ligaments in or around the spine
Most Frequent Cause
- The disc between the bones of the spine is embodied of cartilage, fibrous tissue, and water. As the age passes, the discs gets weakened and may even get flattened, get bulged, break down or herniate
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal), is a condition possibly more grave than degenerative disc disease. As the spinal canal tightens, the spine and nerves may be notably compressed and irritated, causing both back ache and pain that radiates to other portion of the body, depending on the site of the pressure on the nerves.
The Most Common Spine Problems
The pains in your back and neck may be the outcome of most of the common spinal conditions. Certainly, the list isn’t exhaustive, but it definitely does represents some of the most recurring reasons for visits to primary care physicians, and eventually, to an Orthopaedician.
- Lumbar Disc herniation
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Cervical Disc Herniation
- Spinal Infections
- Spinal Osteoarthritis (Spondylitis)
- Spinal Stenosis
- Scoliosis and Spinal Deformities
- Tumors of spine
The major symptoms of spinal problems are intense and long lasting pain, limited motion, weakness and sensory loss. If spinal degeneration leads to compression or damage of the spinal cord, weakness and limited motion may raise significantly. Loss of bowel and bladder function and problems with sexual function also may occur as the problem worsens. The specific symptoms often depend on the site of the structural problem in the spine.
Ayurvedic Treatments For Spine Problems
- As per Ayurveda spinal problems are caused due to the imbalance of the Tridoshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha). Mostly spinal problems require a surgery, for better movement. Instead in Ayurveda spinal problems are treated without any surgical intervention.
- Panchakarma treatments such as Swedana, Basti (herbal enema), Kati Vasti, kati lepam, Agnikarma are followed in Ayurveda to treat spine problems. These treatments effectively eliminates accumulated toxin from the body and give you a healthy body and a healthy life.
- Ayurveda believes that balancing the aggravated vata, pitta and kapha dosha can alleviate the spine problems. Therefore, these Panchakarma procedures help in restoring the imbalanced doshas and maintain the harmony of the body.
- Ayurveda is an Indian classical treatment which is inoffensive and works efficiently for all age group of people which helps in proper functioning of mind, soul and body.
- As Ayurveda is 100% natural, it will not cause any unwished side effects or any other complications in the body. The herbs and medicines used in the treatment are also prepared naturally.
- The strength of Ayurveda in treating the spine problem is appreciated throughout-the-world, as it referred to the root cause of the spinal disorders and helps in curing permanently without any surgical process.
Swedana and Snehana Karma
- Spine problems are is most common public health problem affecting the population worldwide.
- Most of spinal problems are caused by aggravation of vata dosha, in Ayurveda, Swedana and Snehana karma considered as ideal treatment for vata dosha.
- Swedana relieves Stambha (stiffness) and Graha promoting movement of spine.
- Swedana Dravya possesses Ushna (hot), Teekshna (sharp) guna by virtue of which these are capable of entering micro channels through circulation & produce sweating.
- Swedana increases the absorption of Sneha or drugs through the skin.
- After dilatation of these channels, Doshas liquefied by Snehana are eliminated through micro pores of the skin in the form of sweat.
- Swedana Dravya (drugs) possesses detoxifying effect in the body.
Basti Karma (Medicated Enema)
- This is most crucial Panchakarma treatment in Ayurveda for treating spinal problems successfully.
- This treatment is mainly concentrated in eliminating all kinds of Vata doshas from the body.
- This is a well-known ayurvedic procedure which helps in treating back ache, lower back ache caused due to spinal problems.
- Kati Basti helps in treating spinal injuries due to spine degeneration, dislocation, fractures and tumors etc.
- This therapy is administered to the patient for strengthen the spinal nerves and muscles.
- Kati lepam is also effective panchakarma therapy which is used in spine problems.