- Back pain can be a aching , shooting, burning or stabbing sensation anywhere in the back back muscles. The pain may radiate down to buttocks and legs or may worsen with bending, twisting, lifting weight , standing or walking. can occur due to injury , some strenuous activities , can occur may be due to some medical conditions or due some occupational activities .
- upper back pain : Upper back pain is may be due to soft tissue injury (sprain /strain /muscle tension )
- lower back pain :injury tendons or muscles of back . may be due to arthritis ,disk injuries .
- old age
- poor posture
- some medical conditions like cancer , arthritis
- lifting something improperly
- lifting heavy weight
- making an abrupt movement
- poor posture.
- obesity /over weight
- Exercise : regular exercise helps build body strength and keep your weight in check .
- Diet :diet rich in calcium and vitamin D3 , omega 3 fatty acids maintain your bone strength .
- Body weight : people who have more fat around abdominal area , buttocks and hip area are at great risk .
- Posture : keep your back straight while sitting , standing , walking .
- Lifting : When lifting things, use legs to do the lifting, instead of your back.
- Shoes : Flat shoes place less of a strain on the back.
TREATMENT OF BACK PAIN IN AYURVEDA
some yoga can be very helpful for back pain according to location of your pain , duration of pain but should be done under supervision of yoga instructor.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
· PATRA PINDA SWEDA -(LEAF BUNDLE MASSAGE)
The fresh leaves of different plants are collected, sliced and tied in a bolus. Then, the bolus is placed in a pan and heated. Alternatively, it may be dipped in herbal oils that are being heated at a constant temperature. Once the bolus is sufficiently heated, it is removed and gently rubbed over the joints and other affected areas. The bolus should be changed with another heated one once it cools down to maintain the temperature at the site being treated. Once the treatment is over, the treated parts are wiped with a clean and dry tissue paper.
· BALUKA SWEDA -(SAND THERAPY)
The bolus which contains heated sand is slowly rubbed against a specific (or whole) body part. There is no need to apply too much pressure or aggressive kneading movements. Baluka Sweda should be continued until the appropriate signs of sweating occur. The entire procedure takes up to 30 minutes.
· SARVANGYA ABHAYANGA -(TRADITIONAL AYURVEDIC MASSAGE)
The herbal oil used for it and is customized as per the patient’s Prakruti and presenting conditions. Abhyanga can be performed by a single therapist or by two therapists working in synchronization.
Apply firm pressure on the extremities and light to very light pressure should be applied to the neck, abdomen, heart area, face, eyes, and forehead. The abdomen should be massaged in a clockwise circular motion in the direction of the large intestine. Move up on the right side then straight across the abdomen and then downwards on the left side.
The scientific reason for this may be due to the increase in blood flow towards the most distal parts of the body. If the abhyanga is done towards the heart, or in the direction opposite to that of the body hair, the massage may overwhelm the heart through the increased venous return.
Rest for 15 minutes after massage then takes a warm water bath.
BACKACHE SOLUTION KIT
1. Nerve up tablet:
These tablets are pure ayurvedic formulation. Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata doshas and kapha dosha. It acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. This tablet helps in Backache, kneepain, headache, bronchitis, depression.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 tablet twice daily.
2. Back Care tablet:
Back Care tablet is an herbal and purely Ayurvedic formulation. This tablet helps by strengthening your back muscles in relieving back pain whether it be by sciatica, arthritis, kidney infections, infection of the spine and cancer of spinal cord. It helps to pacify Vata dosha and also helps in maintaining proper blood circulation. This is often used for mild to moderate pain all over the body and relaxes your muscles. It contains herbs that act as natural pain relievers.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
3. Panchasakar Churna:
Panchsakar Churana is an Ayurvedic formulation that consists of five ingredients named as – Saindhavan Lavana – (Rock Salt), Swarnapatri – (Cassia angustifolia), Shatapushpa – (Anethum sowa), Shunti – (Zingiber officinale), Balaharitaki – (Unripe fruits of Terminalia chebula).Panchasakar Churna is naturally detoxifying, thus it removes the toxins from the body. The churna has an anti – inflammatory properties due to which it can reduces the swelling. It is also effective in reducing the weight, which can help to reduce the pressure on lumbar area.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful with Luke warm water at bedtime.
4. Pain-O-Kill Oil:
This herbal oil contain ingredients like – Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata), Kustha (Saussurea lappa), Jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculatus), Vatsnabh (Aconitum ferox), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara) etc. This oil is an Ayurvedic medicine which gives best result in all types of pain. It is beneficial for the muscle relaxant, sports injury, low back pain, weakness, etc. This oil has a good result in reducing the inflammation.
Method of Usage – It is applied on the affected portion of the body and massage with light pressure. Do this procedure twice a day.
5. Pain O Kill Tablet:
Pain o kill tablet is ayurvedic and purely herbal formulation. It help to relax your muscles and muscles cramps thus relieving pain. It balances all the three doshas of your body thus maintaining proper blood circulation. It provides soothing effect to the affected area of pain. It contains various herbs like Jivanti, Musta, Usher, Bilwa, Shatavri and Kantakari. All these herbs are natural pain relievers.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.