Dementia is a term basically used for a group of symptoms affecting memory, thinking and social abilities. It’s not a specific disease itself but several diseases can cause dementia. It’s a progressive deterioration of intellect , behavior and personality due to diffuse disease of cerebral hemisphere, cortex and hippocampus. Alzheimer’s is a very common cause of dementia . Memory loss , impaired judgement and los of communication skills are some common symptoms associated with dementia. If diagnosed early , some of the symptoms of dementia can be reversed.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES AND RISK FACTORS FOR DEMENTIA?
- It mostly occurs in people of older age (above 65)
- Genetic factors
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Cerebro vascular disease
- Viral encephalitis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Pick’s disease
- Excessive drug taking
- Damage to blood vessels causes vascular dementia
- Excessive alcohol abuse and smoking
- Depression and stress
- Heart diseases
- Poor nutrition
- Low physical activity
SYMPTOMS OF DEMENTIA:
- Memory loss
- Difficulty in abstract thinking
- Loss of communication skills
- wandering and getting lost in a familiar neighborhood
- trouble handling money and paying bills
- Repeating questions
- Losing interest in daily activities
- Bent posture of the body
- Disorientation to place and time
- Balance problems
- Difficulty in walking
- Difficulty in co-ordination and motor functions
TYPES OF DEMENTIA:
- FRONTO TEMPORAL DEMENTIA: It’s a rare form of dementia that can occur in people below 60 yrs.
- LEWY BODY DEMENTIA: this type of dementia is caused by abnormal deposition of protein alpha-synuclein, called Lewy bodies . As the Parkinson’s disease progresses, it often results in a progressive dementia similar to dementia with Lewy bodies
- VASCULAR DEMENTIA : When there is any damage to blood vessel occurs in the brain or if there is any interruption of blood flow and oxygen to the brain.
- MIXED DEMENTIA: When two or more han two types of dementia occurs simultaneously, it falls under mixed dementia
DIAGNOSIS OF DEMENTIA:
- By taking proper history of the patient and by doing physical examination
- Brain scans like MRI, CT scan , PET Scans etc.
- physical examination
- Neurological and cognitive tests
- Psychiatric evaluation.
- Blood tests
MANAGEMENT OF DEMENTIA:
Doctors use medications to treat dementia in the following type:
- To maintain mental health functioning for as long as possible when dementia can’t be reversed
- By correcting the condition that causes dementia such as thyroid replacement for hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 Deficiency or antibiotics for infections
- By preventing further strokes in people who have dementia because of vascular dementia.
- To manage mood or behavior problems such as depression, insomnia and hallucinations.
- By changing what you eat can reduce dementia symptoms and improve mental clarity . one can take the following steps:
- Reduction in sugar and carb intake
- Enough protein intake
- Increasing intake of vitamin B 12, C, D & E
- Omega 3 fatty acids
CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE’S MEDICATIONS FOR DEMENTIA
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre has its own DEMENTIA GO KIT for pure nad natural treatment of dementia. This kit includes:
- BRODLEY SYRUP:
INGREDIENTS: This syrup maintains the overall activity of the brain. As the herbs used for the preparation of this syrup are Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc.
BENEFITS: These all acts as a mind relaxant. The use of this syrup provides good results to the dementia patient. This syrup has the best memory boosting power and helps in increasing the blood flow to the brain. It is used as an antioxidant that increases retention power
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
- MANN MITRA TABLET:
INGREDIENTS: It contains various herbs like Bala, Vacha, Shankhpushpi, Nagkeshar etc that help you fight insomnia, anxiety, and stress.
BENEFITS: Mann Mitra tablet is herbal and purely ayurvedic medicine. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment for psychiatric conditions and help to balance all the three doshas of body i.e vata, pitta, kapha. CAC Mann Mitra tablet improves intelligence and speech problems. It is helpful for making the nervous system strong and nerves as well.
Recommended Dosage : Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- CALM SLEEP TABLET:
INGREDIENTS: CAC calm sleep tablet is an amazing combination of natural herbs like bhang, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi.
BENEFITS It helps to relieve stressful conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also helps to calm minds and make your body relax and light.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- RASAYAN VATI:
INGREDIETS: Rasayan vati is herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation which contains various herbs such as Aswagandha, Shilajeet, Amla, Musali, Shatavar, Brahmi, Abhrak Bhasam, Mukta pisti, Praval pisti, , Kaunch Beej, Saunth, Mirch, Brahmi, etc.
BENEFITS: These ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immune-modulator properties. These tablets provides good results in General debility, Psychological disorders, and improves immunity.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- DETOX PREMIUM POWDER:
INGREDIENTS. The powder contains – Moti pishti, Parwal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy satva, Kamdudha ras, Jahar mohra, Akik pishti, Gandhak rasayan, Tal sindoor, etc. These ingredients balance all the Tridosha (Vata, Pitta, Kapha).
BENEFITS: : This formulation act at the level of the nervous system and facilitate proper conduction of signal impulse from the nerves to the muscles . It provides relief in psychosis, helps in mental weakness like short temper, decreased the ability to think, improves the memory power, and reduces the calcium level that hampers the brain functions.
Recommended Dosage : Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
In dementia , Panchkarma therapies can also be used to treat memory loss and to manage other symptoms:
This therapy is very useful in reducing depression and insomnia as well as helps in improving the memory. In Shirodhara , medicated oil is continuously dripped on your forehead for 30- 45 minutes . after it massage of your is done.