- Hay fever is also called allergic rhinits. It is an allergic response of body to the indoor or outdoor allergens.
- Allergens are pollens, dust mites, animal dander, tiny flecks of skin or saliva of dogs, cats and other animals.
- It is a very common allergic reaction which have symptoms similar to that of cold.
- The immune system of the body overreacts to a harmless substance and thus shows sneezing, coughing and running nose.
- Due to these symtpoms, a person cannot perform his work well at school or at job.
CAUSES OF HAY FEVER
- The immune system protects a body from foreign micro-organisms by producing chemicals called antibodies.
- In hay fever, immune system starts attacking substances which do not cause any harm. The antibodies present in blood will cause production of histamine. It produces signs and symptoms of hay fever.
RISK FACTORS OF HAY FEVER
There are certain factors which increases the risk of a person developing the disease:
- Having asthma
- Having a family history of hay fever
- Having eczema
- Living in environment in which there is continous exposure of allergens
- It is more common in boys before adolescence. But after adolescence, it is more common in girls.
- Having exposure to cigarette smoke during first year of life.
SYMPTOMS OF HAY FEVER
Following are the signs and symptoms of hay fever are:
- Watery nose
- Nasal congestion
- Itchiness in nose, mouth or throat
- Swollen, blue-colored skin below eyes
- Loss of taste and smell
- Facial pain because of blocked sinuses
- Difficulty in breathing
- Postnasal discharge
DIAGNOSIS OF HAY FEVER
- The doctor will do a physical examination of the patient. He will take complete medical history of the patient.
- He may recommend the following tests:
- Skin prick test
- Blood allergy test
TREATMENT OF HAY FEVER
Following are the medications which are taken for relieving hay fever:
- Antihistaminic tablets
- Oral corticosteroids
- Nasal corticosteroids
- Sublingual allergy tablets
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF HAY FEVER
Herbs which are used for the treatment of hay fever are:
- Black raisins
- Honey and cloves
- Herbal tea
- Honey and onion
- Mustard oil
- Honey and bay leaf
CHANDIGARH AYURVEDA CENTER’S MEDICATIONS FOR HAY FEVER
Here are some of the medications of Chandigarh Ayurveda Center which are used for the treatment of hay fever:
- Kapha Sachet
- The powder contains a mixture of herbal ingredients which are mainly made for the treatment of asthma.
- Their properties generally balance the vata and kapha dosha. The sachet contains ingredients like – Sitopladi churna, Abhrak bhasma, Laxmi vilas ras, Godanti bhasma, etc.
- It is used mainly in chronic cough, whooping cough and trouble breathing. It also relieves congestion of chest, sore throat.
- The ingredients loosen the mucus accumulated in the chest thus making it easy to cough it out. Its main therapeutic effects appear on lungs, pleura, and airways.
- Recommended Dosage– 1 Sachet twice a day with normal water
- Swas Kas Chintamani Ras
- Swas Kas Chintamani Ras is an Ayurvedic medicine in tablet form, used in the treatment of respiratory diseases. This medicine should be used under medical supervision.
- This medicine is most commonly used in north Indian Ayurvedic practice. These tablets are pure Ayurvedic preparatipon which contains pure herbal ingredients like swarna bhasma, shuddha parad, shuddha gandhak, suwaranmakshik bhasma, abhraka bhasma, loha bhasma, yashtimadhu, kantakari, etc.
- It is used in the treatment of cough, cold, bronchitis, asthma, allergic rhinitis, allergic bronchitis.
Recommended dosage: 1 tablet twice daily
- Anu Tailam
- Anu tailam is herbal and ayurvedic oil used for the nasal instillation for curing the various diseases.
- It is administrated through the nasal passage to lubricate, protect and calm the mind. It includes – Sesame oil, Bael tree root, Solanum root, Cinnamon stem bark, Holostemma tuber, cardamom fruit, etc.
- It mainly balances the Kapha dosha and is beneficial in diseases of head, brain, face, nose, and eyes.
- Its use is generally recommended in chronic headache, problem of migraine, sinusitis, improves the voice, and vocal cords.
- Anu tailam gives effective results to asthma patients.
- Recommended Dosage– Put 2-3 drops of Anu tailam in each nostril
- Broncho care syrup
- Broncho care is ayurvedic syrup containing ingredients such as Vasa patra (Adhatoda vasica), Kantkari (Solanum surattense), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Bharangi (Clerodendrum serratum), Chitrakmool (Plumbago zeylanica), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), etc.
- It is mainly used in chronic cough, bronchitis, whooping cough, common cold, etc.
Recommended Dosage– 2 teaspoonful twice a day
- Cough Go Tablets
- These herbal tablets are beneficial in cough, cold, bronchitis, & other respiratory disorders.
- Cough Go Tablets are ayurvedic formulation containing Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Pippali (Piper longum), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum), etc.
- All these ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, bronchodilator, & expectorant properties.
Recommended Dosage– 1 tablet twice a day with normal water
- Kantha Sudharak Vati
- The ingredients used for the preparation of the Kantha sudharak vati are Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Karpura (Cinnamomum camphora), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), Lavang (Syzygium aromaticum), Javitri (Myristica fragrans), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi).
- This is prepared from soothing and expectorant herbs thus relief all throat problems. It gives very effective results in chronic laryngitis, bronchitis and asthma.
- Recommended Dosage – 2 tablets thrice a day