- JET LAG DISORDER commonly known as a TEMPORARY SLEEPING DISORDER that can occur to anyone who travels multiple times over.
- Different countries have different time zones. When it is morning in India, in many countries it is time to sleep. Likewise, our bedtime brings their morning. When we cross this time zone during air travel, jet leg poses a major problem. The jet lag is not a physical problem. This is the result of our body clock deteriorating due to the new environment.
- A person suffering from jet lag has to go through these problems like not sleeping, taking yawns throughout the day, feeling hungry, fatigue- headache, lack of concentration, dizziness, and nausea, getting nervous and getting up, etc.
- The human body has its own internal clock which is medically known as circadian rhythm which signals the body to stay awake or go to sleep. Jet lag occurs when the body clock is out of sync with your original time zone from which you started your journey.
Does the direction of travel matter for jet lag?
- While traveling in the eastern direction jet lag becomes difficult while traveling in the west is easy. Jet lag is long lasting if you travel east it reflects the body’s internal clock.
These symptoms can vary from person to person and these symptoms can get worse and last longer when traveling in different time zones. For each time zone, it can take at least a day to recover symptoms include
- Disturbed sleep
- Trouble concentrating
- Tiredness during the day
- Mood swings
- Disturbances in circadian rhythms: This is caused by the crossing of multiple time zones, thus altering your circadian rhythm that helps regulate your sleep-wake cycle.
- Effects of Sunlight: Sunlight affects a person’s internal clock because light affects the regulation of the melatonin hormone that synchronizes cells throughout the body.
- Atmosphere and Air Cabin Pressure: It has been shown in some research that changes in air cabin pressure contribute to jet lag.
Risk factors for jet lag include:
- Number of time zones crossed: If the number of time zones crossed is increased, so does the intensity of jet lag.
- Being an older adult: It may take longer to recover from jet lag if you are an older adult.
- Frequent fliers: Business travelers, pilots, flight attendants are more prone to jet lag.
HOW TO RECOVER JET LAG?
- Setting your clock in the new time zone
- Sleep and wake times can be customized.
- Taking melatonin
- Don’t eat too much food.
- Staying dehydrated
- Avoid drinking alcohol and coffee
- Adjusting the rhythm of the destination
- Start going out in the sun
- Prepare home before departure.
HOW TO PREVENT JET LAG?
These are basic steps that can help prevent jet lag:
- Arrive early: If you have some important work, try to leave early and adjust to the changes. It helps the body to adjust to the new place and time.
- Adjust the vacation schedule gradually: traveling east can cause a problem and go to bed an hour earlier than a few weeks after departure.
- Getting enough sleep before travelling: Don’t be sleep deprived as it makes jet lag worse.
- Staying Hydrated: Stay hydrated and drink lots of water as dehydration can worsen the symptoms of jet lag alcohol and caffeine should be avoided as both of them affect your sleep.
- Stick to the new schedule: Try to be scheduled as the time of the new place and try to sleep as the time of the place and try to mix up your meal times as well.
- Try sleeping on a surface: Blocking out noise nearby and sleeping on a surface can help.
- Sleep on time and drink plenty of water to get rid of jet lag.
- Cold drinks can also be drunk, but avoid alcohol.
- Exercise daily
- Walk in the fresh air.
- Listen to good books and music.
- At this time aroma oil will also give you relief apply it on the wrist, tempo, and sole.
- NERVE PLUS TABLET: Cac nerve plus tablet contains Ghritkumari, kalimirch, Giloy satva, Shudha shilajeet, Shudha Kuchala, Shudha Vatsnabh, etc. These herbs might be beneficial in improving appetite by increasing intestinal motility as well as gastrointestinal functions and also help prevent constipation. It might be good for diabetics due to the presence of certain constituents that help lower blood glucose levels. Kuchla also helps to manage insomnia by controlling the functions of the brain and reducing stress. It is also beneficial in managing urinary problems like burning sensation or irritation during urination due to its diuretic activity.
Dosage – 1 tab twice daily with plain water
- STRESS CARE TABLET: CAC Stress care tablet is an amazing combination of natural herbs like Sarpgandha, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi. It helps to relieve stress conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also help to increase mental and physical performance.In Ayurveda when there is an imbalance of three energies i.e. Vata, pitta, and Kapha, it leads to disease. Vata has a sub dosha named prana doshas which regulates the sensory perception, brain, and mind. Tarpak Kapha subtype of Kapha governs cerebrospinal fluid, sadhak pitta subtype of pitta doshas governs emotions, and their impact on the heart. So any vitiation of these doshas leads to stress. It helps Maintain stress level, Provides strength to the nervous system, Works in anxiety, loneliness, insomnia, sleep, Negative emotions, Enhance concentration in studies and other work, Memory loss, and Palpitations. It is an ayurvedic remedy for jet lag
Dosage – 1 tab twice daily with plain water