What is ascites?
- Ascites is condition that is characterized by abnormal fluid collection in your abdomen (belly). Ascites occur in people who have been suffering from the condition liver cirrhosis Peritoneum is a layer that covers the abdominal organs, including the stomach, bowels, liver and kidneys. The peritoneum has two layers. Ascites occurs when fluid collects between the two layers of peritoneum.
Risk factors for ascites
- Any condition that causes cirrhosis can be risk factor for developing ascites. These conditions include:
- Non-alcohol associated fatty liver disease.
- Hepatitis B.
- Hepatitis C.
- Alcohol use disorder.
- Autoimmune hepatitis.
- Genetic liver diseases like hemochromatosis,
- Wilson disease and alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency.
Other conditions that can also cause ascites include:
- Congestive heart failure.
- Kidney failure.
- Abdominal cancer
- Infections in internal organs.
.SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
What causes ascites?
Cirrhosis is the most common cause of ascites. Other conditions that may lead to ascites may involve Fatty liver , hepatitis B , Hepatitis C , heart failure, kidney failure, infection or cancer.
How does cirrhosis cause ascites?
In condition of liver cirrhosis, liver doesn’t function properly. The decrease in liver function with portal hypertension cause ascites. In Portal Hypertension there is high pressure in the portal vein that delivers blood to your liver. Due to this high pressure , fluid leak out of your veins into your belly and collect there.
What are the symptoms of ascites?
The main symptoms of ascites that are seen inm people are a large belly and rapid weight gain.
Other common symptoms may include:.
- Shortness of breath.
- Swellind around
- Digestive problems, like bloating, abdominal pain, loss of appetite , indigestion and constipation.
- Back pain.
- Difficulty sitting.
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTS
How is ascites diagnosed?
Ascites can be diagnosed by taking complete medical history and by doing physical examination. Further investigations like blood tests or imaging tests are helpful to confirm the diagnose. After the initial exam, doctor will recommend other tests to confirm a diagnosis:
- Ultrasound or CT scan: These imaging scans show your abdominal area in more detail.
- Paracentesis: In this procedure fluid is tested to analyze for signs of cancer, infection, portal hypertension and other conditions.
MANAGEMENT AND TREATMENT
How is ascites treated?
- Limiting sodium intake in diet is important for treating ascites. Recommended Sodium intake is less than 2,000 to 4,000 milligrams a day for people who are suffering from ascites.
- A dietitian can help you to maintain a healthy eating plan. Medications like diuretics will help fluid and sodium to leave your body.
Can ascites be cured?
- Treatment options for ascites help to improve symptoms and reduce complications in patients. In some patients, ascites may resolve with diuretics.
- But In the case of alcohol-associated hepatitis, ascites may resolve with improvement in liver function.
How to prevent ascites?
Living a healthy lifestyle is best way to prevent ascites. Take healthy diet . Avoid alcohol and salt, don’t smoke and do exercise daily .
How can ascites be controlled?
If you are suffering from ascites, these steps can help you control the condition:
- Check on weight : Keep your weight in check . Weigh yourself daily. Immediately call your doctor if you gain more than 10 pounds
- Avoid alcohol: It’s best way to keep your liver healthy . Avoid alcohol to reduce the risk of ascites and its reoccurrence.
- Limit NSAID use: Avoid all medications that affect your liver ,kidneys and alter their functions . They can cause your body to retain excess water and salt.
- Lower salt intake : Follow low-sodium diet strictly
Ayurvedic view of Ascites
- In Ayurveda Ascites is classified under the Udara roga . This disease presenting with cardinal symptom i.e.generalized enlargement of abdomen. Udara roga is considered is one among mahagada. In which symptoms like Emaciation, loss of appetite, pedal edema, inability to perform any physical activity are seen.
- Vitiation of agni(digestion and metabolism) is considered as the basic pathology of udara rogain general, which is regarded as one among the mahagada (major illness). Udara roga is futher classified under eight types. Among them jalodara is correlated with ascites.
Symptoms of udakodara/ Jalodara
अनन्नकाङ्क्षापिपासागुदस्रावशूलश्वासकासदौर्बल्यानि, अपि चोदरंनानावर्णराजिसिरासन्ततमुदकपूर्णदृतिक्षोभसंस्पर्शं भवति, एतदुदकोदरमिति विद्यात्||
The symptoms of udakodara (jalodara) includes lack of interest to eat food, excessive thirst, mucus discharge from anus, abdominal pain, breathlessness, cough, weakness, abdomen with stretch marks and distended visible veins, fluid thrill and dull percussion note identical to the one seen in leather bag filled with water .
Consequences of not treating jalodara at early stage
In Ayurveda it is said that jalodara in early stage will not cause complications and without signs of fluid accumulation immediately treated. If left untreated, then the imbalanced dosha gets displaced and liquefied, moistens the joints as well as body channels, obstructs the external channels and thus mobilizes the fluid into the abdomen.
The accumulated fluid in the abdomen cause ascites and patient have symptoms like
- Distension of the abdomen
- Feeling of heaviness in the abdomen
- Still abdomen with absence of gurgling sound
- Dull note on percussion
- Soft abdomen on palpation
- Distended veins spreading around the umbilicus
- Then appearance of fluid in the abdomen.
- After appearance of the fluid patient may suffer from many complications like vomiting, diarrhea, asthma, excessive thirst, breathlessness, cough, hiccough, debility, pain in the sides of the abdomen, tastelessness in mouth, hoarseness of voice and retention of urine and in this state it is incurable.
Ayurvedic Management of Ascites
As In Ayurveda main causative factor that is considered for causing acsites is mandagni and imbalanced doshas. So line of treatment used in ayurveda is to stablise the agni and doshas. To fulfill this conditions Chandigarh ayurvedic centre provide effective treatment for ascites. CAC provides combination of medicines that are beneficial in the treatment of acsites and also prevent its reoccurrence. CAC provides ‘Ascites care kit’ to treat Ascites.
Ascites care kit contains
- Detox premium powder
- Gokhuru capsule
- Panchskar churna
- Liver care tablet
- Kidney care tablet
- Trikatu tablet
For more information you can visit our website